The University of Salford is committed to protecting your personal data. We aim to be clear when we collect your personal information about what will happen to it and not to do anything with it you would not reasonably expect.
All information you provide to us will be used in accordance with the University’s Data Protection Policy. Your personal data will be stored securely in our Alumni Engagement & Development database which is part of the University’s IT infrastructure on campus and held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Access to personal data on this database is restricted only to staff who have a requirement to maintain a relationship with you using a password protected account.
This statement aims to explain what personal information we collect and hold as part of our alumni engagement and development work and how we may use it. It also outlines what steps you can take if you’d like us to change how we use your data or if you’d like us to stop using it altogether.
WHERE DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM?
- From elsewhere in the University We transfer the names of all our students, their degree information and contact details to the database of the Office of Alumni Engagement & Development from the University’s student database at the point of graduation. We also gather information on membership of University clubs and societies, alumni library and sports centre membership.
- Directly from you When you enquire about our activities, register for an event, make a donation to the University or otherwise provide us with personal information. You can also let us know about any changes in contact information at any time by filling in this Update Your Details form or emailing email@example.com
- Indirectly from you Your information may also be passed to us from sources such as the University of Salford crowdfunding website where you have made a donation through them. We will only use your personal information if you have specifically given them permission for us to contact you. To ensure we can continue to communicate with you we may use a third party to help us keep your postal address details up-to-date (we only use the Royal Mail National Change of Address Service) and to remove deceased people from our communications list.
- From other organisations or public sources As with other universities and charities we may use your personal data to help us make estimates of your potential ability and willingness to make donations to the University. These estimates help us to tailor our fundraising activities and communications to you. To ensure we are providing you the best experience for you we may also use insight companies to provide us with general geo-demographic or wealth information (sometimes known as ‘wealth screening’). This information is compiled using publicly available data and information you have already supplied to us.
We may use publicly available information ensure we communicate with you in the best way for you. We use sources such as:
- The Charity Commission and The Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR)
- Rich Lists, such as The Sunday Times Rich List
- Company and charity websites and company social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. We do not search for or collect information from personal Facebook or Twitter sites
- Information shared publicly on personal LinkedIn accounts
- Online newspapers
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal data collected, stored and processed by the Office of Alumni Engagement & Development can include:
- Your full name, title and gender preference
- Date of birth
- Contact details including postal address, email address and phone number
- Your course title, University of Salford school, start and end dates at the University, graduation date and degree classification
- Current or past employment details
- Areas of interest or potential interest within the University
- Your potential capacity to make a large gift
- Relationships to other alumni, family or partner details
- All communications sent to you by the University, event attendance and details of any donations made
- Detail of verbal or email conversations/meetings we’ve had with you
- Whether you have given us permission to claim Gift Aid on donations you have made
WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Your personal information will be used to provide any services you have requested and to keep in touch with you as a member of the Salford alumni community. We may communicate with you about the following:
- University updates and news
- Offers and discounts to which you may be entitled
- Promotions of benefits or services
- Invitations to events
- Ways to get involved
If you have provided us with your postal address, email address or telephone number we may contact you via these means unless you have told us you’d prefer us not to.
We actively check phone numbers against the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and we will only call you on a number listed on TPS if you have specifically told us we may.
The University does not collect and store any bank or credit/debit card details.
Your data will not be disclosed to external organisations other than those acting as agents for the University. We always make sure there are appropriate controls in place so that your data will remain secure. The University will never sell, trade or give away your data.
Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of the University’s communications with you, including email tracking (which records when an email from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message) and internal data analysis and reporting. This helps us to understand how our communications are being received and understood.
The University is committed to holding your data securely and treating it with sensitivity. The University will only hold the data for as long as it considers necessary for the above purposes.
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING YOUR DATA
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about the University, about how we raise funds and the ways you can be involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways or to contact you by email, phone and/or post please let us know. You can indicate your preferences by filling in this communication preferences form. Alternatively you can email us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 (0)161 295 4265 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) specifying your requirements.
If you do not want us to continue to hold your personal information please contact us at email@example.com or on +44 (0)161 295 4265 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm). Please note that we will still need to retain skeleton information on you (name, year/s of study, course title and home address) to help ensure that we do not contact you again.
Any choices you make will overwrite any previous preferences you have informed us about.
UPDATING YOUR CONTACT DETAILS
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can let us know about any changes in contact information at any time by filling in this Update Your Details form or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about your rights under the Data Protection Act go to the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/.
To access the personal information held by the Office of Alumni Engagement & Development or the wider University, email email@example.com You will be asked to prove your identity before your data can be released.
From time to time we may make changes to this statement because the way we are processing your personal information changes. All alterations will be posted on this page and will apply from the time we post them.
This statement was last updated on 1 December 2017.